Customer: Vodafone Omnitel B.V., a company managed and controlled by Vodafone Group P.L.C. based in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Opportunity:Vodafone needed to expand its backhaul network without burdening the operating structure and required a partner with many years of experience in managing the turnkey installation of cell sites.
The project: The project involved the installation of a backhaul network comprising 40 HUBs to supplement the existing network. In addition to technological renewal, the objective was to improve the already high levels of reliability and availability of the transport network that services Vodafone customers.
SITE took the lead in the end-to-end installation, on a fully turnkey basis, of a backhaul network comprising 40 HUBs in the Central-Southern area. The transmission infrastructure for the network comprises Gigabit Ethernet fibre-optic links and radio bridges.
This was a complete project for Vodafone Omnitel B.V., which is managed and controlled by Vodafone Group P.L.C. SITE finished this turnkey project on time and the infrastructure has already been handed over to Vodafone. As a result of achieving this objective, SITE has been recognised as a key player at national level.
Summarising, the principal activities were:
• Acquisition of sites
• General design and request for authorisations from agencies
• Request for electricity connections from the utility supplier
• Contracts with the owners of the areas concerned
• Request for construction-planning permits
• General radio design, installation of lines of sight and performance of interference measurements
• Executive design of construction work
• Installation of infrastructure
• FPO power systems with electricity board and protection systems
• FPO air conditioners
• FEP shelter
• Installation and testing of radio links
• Integration of radio links with supervision systems
• Testing, certification and checking
• Technical support
• Acceptance of tested site for Vodafone
• Handover of site to customer
Advantages: SITE installed the backhaul network within a relatively short time frame, with end-to-end control over the installation process. This successful project achieved technological renewal and improved the already high levels of reliability and availability of the transport network that services customers.